Knee Replacement Surgery
Once you and your orthopedic surgeon have decided to proceed with surgery, there are several activities that must occur prior to surgery, including the following:
1. Initial Surgical Consultation
Preoperative x-rays, complete past medical history, complete past surgical history, complete list of all medications and allergies (prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin supplements). Your doctor may send you for tests at Silver Cross Hospital. You can schedule an appointment for these tests (with your doctor’s order) online or by calling (815) 300-7076.
2. Complete Physical Examination
Your internist or family physician will determine if you are in the best possible condition to undergo surgery.
3. Blood Donation
A transfusion may be necessary after surgery, therefore you may wish to donate blood prior to surgery. Silver Cross Hospital receives its blood supply from Heartland Blood Centers.
4. Attend a Joints Matter Educational Class
Once your surgery is scheduled, you will be contacted to make arrangements to participate in a Joints Matter session. This free one-hour class offers extensive pre-operative education for the patient and their family to enhance faster healing and recovery. Seminars are presented at Silver Cross Hospital twice a month and cover topics such as:
- What to expect after surgery
- How to optimize the recovery process
- Occupational therapy and physical therapy
- Exercises to promote healing
- Nursing care
- Discharge planning
- Tips on preparing your home for your return
Our goal is to answer any questions you and your family members may have and prepare you for the recovery process.
5. Preparation for the Hospital
You may want to bring the following items:
- Clothing: underwear, socks, loose fitting exercise clothes for rehabilitation
- Footwear: walking or tennis shoes for rehab; slippers for hospital room
- Walking Aids: walker, cane, wheelchair, or crutches if used prior to surgery
- Insurance Information
- Personal belongings –Free wi-fi service is available throughout the hospital campus
6. Evening Before Surgery
Do not eat or drink after midnight. Shower (with five minute scrub to surgical area with special soap provided). Prepare your belongings and review your Joints Matter booklet.